Pages

Showing posts with label srilanka army news. Show all posts
Showing posts with label srilanka army news. Show all posts

Monday, 14 December 2009

Sri Lanka Army Commander says worst-ever betrayal against the victory by former CDS


Dec 14, Colombo: The saddest and the worst-ever betrayal against the victory by the Sri Lankan security forces took place when the former military chief leveled allegations against his troops, Sri Lanka Army Commander Lieutenant General Jagath Jayasuriya said today.

Addressing the troops gathered at the Army headquarters in Colombo for a presentation of appreciation certificates for their gallantry, the Army Commander strongly deplored the contemptuous and baseless charges against the War Heroes and urged his troops not to be shaken by such accusations.

"Instead we should feel further encouraged by such allegations. All of us should be aware of such betrayals and attentive to such remarks," he said.

Lieutenant General Jayasuriya credited the political leadership, especially the President for winning the war that eliminated terrorism and the terrorist organization from the country.

"This War dragged on for thirty years since we did not receive the correct political leadership, but we had a well-trained Army of high morale," he said adding that the President Mahinda Rajapaksa and Secretary Defence Gotabhaya Rajapaksa had the correct vision and leadership that enabled the security forces to finish terrorism in a short span of time.

"This was not a victory of one individual but a team-effort that shed tears, sweat and blood of all," he said.

The Army Chief appreciated the support from the Navy, Air Force, Sri Lanka Police, and Civil Defence Force for the support the Army received from them in achieving the victory. He also acknowledged the civil staff who shouldered day-to-day administrative responsibilities in operation and non-operation areas.

Saturday, 21 November 2009

Sri Lanka 'to free all war-displaced civilians'


Sri Lanka said Saturday it would grant free movement to the remaining war-displaced civilians held in internment camps, meeting a key demand of the international community.
The government also reiterated it would complete the resettlement of civilians by the end of January.
"We will allow complete freedom of movement," senior presidential adviser Basil Rajapakse told inmates of the Manik Farm complex, the main facility housing displaced civilians.
The United Nations welcomed the announcement that camp inmates will be able to come and go freely from December 1, saying it was in line with a pledge Sri Lanka gave Secretary General Ban Ki-moon.
The announcement came amid intense international pressure on Colombo to release tens of thousands of civilians held in the camps since security forces crushed Tamil Tiger rebels in May.
UN humanitarian chief John Holmes visited the area earlier this week and pressed authorities to grant free movement to the camp inmates.
The government's announcement was a "pleasing" development, the UN spokesman in Colombo, Gordon Weiss, told AFP
"This is in keeping with the assurances given to the Secretary-General," he said. "It is a pleasing sign of progress and we look forward to its full implementation."
In Brussels, the European Union noted that Colombo's announcement "would be fulfilling the European Union's demands that have been put some time ago to the Sri Lankan government".
The EU as well as the UN and other key international players, including rights groups have been pressing Colombo to allow war displaced civilians the freedom to choose where they wanted to live.
Brussels remained cautious and keen to see changes on the ground rather than mere words, a EU official said.
"That's the standing EU position, we have an open demand," the official in Brussels said.
The EU had also linked the treatment of internally displaced as a key demand to consider extending preferential tariffs for imports from Sri Lanka.
Over 136,000 men, women and children remain inside camps across the island's north, down from 280,000 at the end of the fighting in May with the defeat of the guerrillas.
Camp inmates will be allowed to come and go freely from the start of December, said Rajapakse.
The country's former top military general, Sarath Fonseka, who defeated the Tamil Tigers in May, had criticised the government for dragging out the civilian resettlement process.
Fonseka, who quit as chief of defence staff last week and is widely expected to challenge President Mahinda Rajapakse in elections expected by next April, had vowed to work for the speedy release of civilians.
Basil Rajapakse, the younger brother of the president, repeated a pledge the entire resettlement will be completed on schedule by January 31.
He made the announcement at the Manik Farm complex, 257 kilometres (160 miles) north of the capital, where he handed over relief supplies.
A batch of 41,000 people were allowed to leave the camps in October, the biggest single release so far.
In May, Sri Lankan troops defeated the Tamil rebels who had been fighting since 1972 to carve out a separate nation in the Sinhalese-majority island.
The government has been widely criticised for holding refugees indefinitely, but it insisted it needed time to weed out rebel fighters hidden among the civilians.
Military officials said about 10,000 ex-combatants had surrendered to security forces and were being held at separate camps ahead of sending them for vocational training.
The government has also said over 1.5 million mines must be cleared and basic infrastructure put in place to allow returnees to resume normal lives.
Critics claimed the civilians were being held as prisoners at the camps which have been off limits for independent media except during guided military tours.

Saturday, 31 October 2009

Media censorship on stories and photographs of Anoma Fonseka


Sources from Lake House say the Ranaviru Seva Authority Chairman and General Sarath Fonseka’s wife, Anoma Fonseka has also been subjected to a media censorship. Lake House Chairman Bandula Padmakumara has told all editors in the institution not to give publicity to news related to any official work carried out by the Ranaviru Seva Authority Chairman.

The Ranaviru Seva Authority recently launched a website with details of all soldiers who have been killed in the line of duty. The website was launched by Anoma Fonseka and the private media gave some publicity to the event. Several photographs of the event had been carried in the state owned Dinamina newspaper. Upon seeing it, Presidential Media Unit Secretary Vijayananda

Herath had called the Lake House and shouted at him for carrying the photographs and the story about Anoma Fonseka. The Chiarman had then summoned the journalist who reported the event to the newspaper, Chandrani Marasinghe and reprimanded her for publicizing the event attended by Anoma.

The Lake House Chairman had asked the journalist not to carry any article in the newspaper about the General or any member of his family in future editions of the paper.

Below are the news report and photographs published in the Dinamina newspaper.

Sunday, 11 October 2009

Work hard to live in peaceful co-existence - Army Commander


Army Commander Lt.Gen. Jagath Jayasuriya called upon his officers and men to give priority for humanitarian tasks and be part of the Government’s development activities.

The Army Chief was addressing his men and officers to mark the 60th anniversary of the Sri Lanka Army at the Army Headquarters in Colombo yesterday.

Prior to his address a Guard of Honour was accorded to him.

Lt. Gen. Jayasuriya said, “We must work hard to create a conducive environment to work and live in peace and co-exist while effecting those responsibilities. The display of Vellupillai Prabhakaran’s arms, ammunition and equipment at the 60th Anniversary exhibition is not only to show the valour of the war heroes but also to enlighten the public on the consequences the people had to suffer had terrorism won causing a massive bloodbath,” he said. The Army Commander said it was President Mahinda Rajapaksa’s fearless leadership that led the war heroes to achieve the glorious victory which will be highlighted in Sri Lanka’s history.

“It is with great respect I recall the determination and his pledge to the public which was unparalleled in any of our statesmen,” said Lt.Gen.Jayasuriya.

Commending the Secretary, Ministry of Defence Gotabhaya Rajapaksa, he said that the Army cannot forget the Defence Secretary’s support and guidance as he had a great deal of experience in warfare and ground battle.

“I also wish to recall the sustained courage extended by Chief of Defence Staff, Sri Lanka Navy, Sri Lanka Air Force, Sri Lanka Police and Civil Defence Force in our march to secure this victory,” he said.

An anniversary stamp, first day cover and commemorative coin were issued following the Guard of Honour.

Army Exhibition attracts large crowds


Visitors in their thousands are flocking to the BMICH in Colombo for the exhibition organised to mark the 60th Anniversary of the Sri Lanka Army.
The stalls of the Special Forces of the Army which took the lead in the humanitarian operation are attracting large crowds. The task of the Snipers was to provide secret information to the Infantry Divisions, safeguarding the motherland, while at the same time monitoring enemy activities extending for long hours and days. The visitors were inquisitive to determine as to how the Snipers successfully faced the operations unveiled from Mawilaru and stretched up to Wellamulli-Vaikkal. The visitors also received an opportunity to witness how landmines were removed.
They heaped praise on the gallantry displayed by the war heroes in liberating the country from terrorism which was a scourge for 30 years. The people now have an opportunity of visiting exhibitions sans any fear or suspicion due to the dedications of the war heroes under the guidance of the Defence Secretary and the direct leadership of the President.
A school girl said this is the first time they were visiting an exhibition of this nature. She was upbeat about the victories of the Army. She thanked all those who organised the event. Another student was happy about the Military victories and said they had learnt much from the exhibition.

The Sri Lanka Army Commander's message on the occasion of the Sri Lanka Army 60th anniversary


The Sri Lanka Army's 60th Anniversary marks a very significant milestone in the history of the Army being the year in which it won, decisively the war against terrorism. As the 19th Commander of the Sri Lanka Army, it gives me immense pleasure to write this message on this auspicious occasion.

With the advent of the Second World War in 1939 the Ceylon Defence Force was mobilised. Subsequently a reorganised Ceylon Defence Force that comprised of a regular Artillery Unit, an Engineer unit, 5 Ceylon Light Infantry Battalions and with expanded signals, medical and logistics units to meet the requirement was established. With the dawn of the Independence the decision to raise an Army was made and accordingly the government took steps to establish a regular and professional force On 10th October 1949. This fledgling Army today has expanded to a well-equipped Army of 24 professional Regiments. Today, with the defeat of terrorism that plagued the country for over 3 decades we have established that the Sri Lanka Army is a professional organisation.`

The synchronisation of, the strong political will and courage of His Excellency the President Mr Mahinda Rajapaksa to defeat terrorism against tremendous odds, the inspiring leadership of the Secretary Defence, Honourable Gotabaya Rajapaksa RWP RSP psc and the guidance and direction of Chief of Defence Staff General GSC Fonseka RWP RSP VSV USP rcds psc along with the support from the Sri Lanka Navy, Sri Lanka Air Force, the Sri Lanka Police and the Civil Defence Force are the main factors that led the Army to victory in the humanitarian operations launched to establish the government writ and to free all areas of our beloved motherland from the clutches of terrorism.

Being the Security Force Commander Wanni prior to assuming Command of this prestigious Army I was able to witness first hand the many sacrifices made under trying conditions by the Officers and Other Ranks of the Army. Today, as the Commander of the Army, I take this opportunity to honour and appreciate the dedication and commitment of all the Officers and Other ranks of the Army. You have done well, and today we live in a country free from terrorism.

At this hour of glory I remember all those Officers and Other Ranks who made the supreme sacrifice and all the Officers and men who are disabled. To their families, I wish them courage to endeavour the loss and pain. To the Army and the nation it is my honour and duty to remind you that we shall be glad that such heroes lived among us and we shall not at any moment mourn their loss but be inspired by them.

With the defeat of terrorism in the country I must remind you that the responsibility of the Army has not ended but has only increased. It is the duty of every one of you to ensure that the values of democracy be upheld in all areas of our motherland. The commitment of the Sri Lanka Army to create a conducive environment for all ethnic communities in Sri Lanka to live in harmony will continue steadfastly. Further, assisting the civil authorities to re-establish normalcy in the north and east is of our country will remain a one of our foremost obligations.

As in the past, today the Sri Lanka Army's' contribution of troops for United Nations Humanitarian Missions in many parts of the World is a clear reflection of the recognition the Sri Lanka Army has gained over the years. I commend all those troops who are responsibly fulfilling this national obligation.

On this occasion it is my bounded duty to recognise and appreciate the contribution of the Army Seva Vanitha Branch towards the welfare of all those officers and other ranks injured and to the next of kin of all those officers and other ranks who made the supreme sacrifice.

Finally I thank the general public for their un-stinted support to the Sri Lanka Army in their fulfillment of this national undertaking.

May peace prevail in our beloved motherland.

Courtesy : Army Media

Friday, 9 October 2009

60 glorious years of Sri Lanka Army

60 glorious years of Sri Lanka Army
With official Photo collection


C.E. Katuwawalage and Asha Nanayakkara, SINHALAYA News Agency, Colombo, Sri Lanka : The special Army exhibition to commemorate the 60th anniversary of Sri Lanka Army started on 3rd October at the BMICH premises Colombo.


The exhibition displays the weapons and ammunition that were captured from the LTTE during the Eastern and Northern Humanitarian missions.

Following are the chosen moments of the event, captured by our SINHALAYA News Agency correspondents who visited the BMICH premises recently.











































The official video documentary which was produced based on the tour will be released in the near future.



- Sinhalaya News


Saturday, 3 October 2009

LTTE Claymore & Forty APMs Found

NORTH: TROOPS conducting search and clear operations in the general areas of ADAMPAN, PULIYANKULAM, WADDINOORKULAM, VELLAMULLIVAIKKAL, AMPALAVANPOKKANAI, PUTHUKKUDDIYIRIPPU, UDAYARKATTUKULAM and KANDAYORANMADU recovered one hundred and forty-eight Anti Personnel Mines (APM), five chargers, five Bangalore torpedoes, one satellite phone, eighty-six bombs, two hundred and four hand grenades, twenty-four claymore mines, eleven T-56 weapons, eight 60 mm mortar bombs, four Rocket Propelled Grenades (RPG), two LTTE jackets, fifteen T-56 magazines, one T-81 magazine, one shotgun, nine hundred rounds of P-52 ammunition, ten 81 mm mortar bombs and two 120 m mortar bombs on Thursday (01).

Meanwhile, Police personnel following information recovered two anti tank mines, four claymore mines, one anti tank bar mine and three combat uniforms from SUGANDIPURAM area during a search conducted the same day (01).

In the meantime, VAVUNIYA Police intelligence team on information received from an arrested suspect conducted a search in KANKANVILLUWA, MUNDALAMA and recovered one T-56 weapon, two T-56 magazines, one hundred and seventy-five rounds of T-56 ammunition, ten unidentified pistol ammunition, one pistol holster belt and one pouch hidden in a jungle patch.

Army 60th Anniversary Mega Exhibition Begins

THE YEAR’S much-expected stunning spectacular, Sri Lanka Army’s 60th Anniversary Exhibition, a major feat of the celebratory events was declared open by His Excellency, the President Mahinda Rajapaksa this morning (3) during a colourful ceremony at BMICH premises.

President Rajapaksa who is also the Commander-in Chief of the Tri-services graced the occasion as Chief Guest. He was warmly received at the premises on arrival by Secretary Defence Dr. Gotabaya Rajapaksa, Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) General Sarath Fonseka, and Commander of the Army Lieutenant General Jagath Jayasuriya. Commanders of Navy and Air Force, Inspector General of Police and a host of other senior Army officers were also associated with the inaugural opening.

In his speech made after opening the exhibition, the President commended the commitment of the Army and its soldiers who served with utmost dedication. He highlighted the fact that Army’s contribution to the humanitarian war was extremely higher.

Later, the President and distinguished gusts accompanied by Army Commander Lt. Gen. Jayasuriya visited the site and stalls organized by various Army formations and received a comprehensive notion of the Army history and its expansion. Army’s active involvement in relief and welfare activities during natural disasters in the country in addition to its military contribution to safeguard the territorial integrity of the country also came in the praise of the President.

Massive crowds gathered to witness this rare spectacle. Over 50000 spectators had reportedly watched the exhibition as of late Saturday evening, the inaugural day of the exhibition.

The exhibition will continue till 7th October.

60th anniversary celebrations of the Sri Lanka Army begins at Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi in Anuradhapura

The Sri Lanka Army has begun its 60th anniversary celebrations be blessing Army flags at a ceremony held in front of the Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi in Anuradhapura today. Army Commander Lieutenant General Jagath Jayasuriya participated at the ceremony held under the leadership of Maha Sanga headed by Atamasthanadhipathi Venerable Pallegama Siriniwasa Thera.

The President will declare open a special Army exhibition to commemorate the event which will be conducted from the 3rd to 7th of this month. The exhibition is open to the general public to 10.00 am to 10.00 pm each day. However, the exhibition will be opened for the general public after 12.30 tomorrow.

Special award presentation ceremony will be conducted for the Army Commander on the 10th and for Chief of Staff on the 12th of this month.

“A Priksum Pahan Sandarshanaya” will be conducted from the 17th to the 23rd of this month at the Keththarama Stadium.

Army Spokesman Brigadier Udaya Nanayakkara says special programmes are being conducted to establish the security of all who attend the ceremonies.