Pages

Saturday, 27 October 2012

Australia sends back the 14 Sri Lankan pirate asylum seekers

Australian authorities have sent back the 14 Sri Lankan asylum seekers who pirated a fishing boat after assaulting the fishermen onboard and set sail to that country. A statement from the office of the Australian Minister of Immigration and Citizenship, Chris Bowen said
the 14 Sri Lankan nationals were returned to Sri Lanka from the Cocos Islands on a charter flight that departed Saturday (27) afternoon. The Australian Customs Vessel, Hervey Bay operating under the control of Border Protection Command has intercepted the Sri Lankan boat named Chejan with 15 people onboard north-west of the Cocos Islands late on Thursday night. Sri Lankan authorities have charged the 15 asylum seekers with attempted murder and robbery for their attack on October 13 in the mid seas on the fishermen of a trawler and robbing of the trawler after the fishermen were thrown overboard. Sri Lanka Police issued warrants for their arrest and sought the Interpol assistance to hunt down the group while alerting the Australian authorities of the impending arrival of the suspects on their shores. Australian Immigration Minister's office said the individuals were advised of their status and that they were subject to removal from Australia. "They made no claims for protection nor raised any issues that engaged Australia's international obligations. They did not hold visas and consequently had no legal right to enter or remain in Australia," the statement said. One of the asylum seekers has not been returned as he was not able to return to Sri Lanka today. The authorities will however continue to assess his availability for removal over the coming days. Australian media reported that one of the men had earlier entered Australia illegally but volunteered to return to Sri Lanka in September on the promise of the $3300 government resettlement package. The Australian government said it is committed to breaking the evil people smuggling trade and preventing people from taking dangerous boats. "People who pay smugglers are risking their lives and throwing their money away - because there is no visa awaiting them, no speedy outcome, and no special treatment," the Minister warned. "We have also seen a number of Sri Lankans returning home, which is further proof that people smugglers only sell lies and make false promises about what awaits people in Australia," Minister Bowen said in his release. He said the illegal migrants will be regularly transferred to Nauru and shortly to Manus Island. -->

No comments:

Post a Comment