Pages

Wednesday, 22 September 2010

Commission to investigate the death of university student to begin on September 30th

The Presidential Commission appointed to investigate the death of a University student will begin inquiries from the 30th of this month.

The Commission headed by retired Supreme Court judge Jagath Balapatabendi said it will begin its public hearings on September 30. Ruhuna University students, police and medical personnel will be called to testify.
The Ruhuna University undergraduate student Susantha Aruna Bandara died on July 22 from the complications resulted from an alleged assault by a fellow student.
The 25-year-old victim had succumbed to the injuries he received on June 18 during a protest at the University campus. Bandara had spent over a month in hospital receiving treatment for head injuries.
Sri Lanka President Mahinda Rajapaksa last month appointed a one-member special Presidential Commission to inquire into Bandara's death.
The Commission will also focus on the suspects who are under arrest now, the Commissioner said. The police have arrested six students so far in connection with Bandara's death. The police were looking for nine suspects.
The report of the Commission is due to be presented to the President within three months.

No comments:

Post a Comment