Pages

Sunday 15 August 2010

I didn't go to any film school: Arshad

Varun Tandon chatted with Arshad Warsi about filmmaking and the fine art of comic timing.
I have been part of my college theatre group for the last three years and have made many short films on social issues.
I always got positive feedback from teachers and judges (when my films were screened), but I was still confused whether to join a film school or work as an assistant director. So when Mumbai Mirror fixed my meeting with Arshad Warsi, I was thrilled as I could get some tips from such a versatile actor, who has also turned director recently.
Arshad was shooting for his upcoming film at Film City, Goregaon. After a short wait, I was ushered into a huge studio where the actor warmly greeted me. After some small talk (he was impressed when I told him that I have made 15 short films), I shared my dilemma with him.
Arshad was quick to reply that the best way to learn filmmaking is on the job. "A lot of people would hate me for saying this, but look at Shekhar Kapur, Steven Spielberg; they didn't go to any film school. I also didn't go to any film school but when I direct, my earlier experiences prove to be handy."
It was easy for him to say that after being in the industry for so long. As if reading my mind, he said, "Initially, it may seem difficult without connections but if you are focused and can think out of the box, there are people in the industry who are willing to give you a platform." That sounds too good to be true.
I asked him about his initiation into this profession. Arshad grinned and said, "Well, I actually never wanted to be an actor." Seeing my surprised look, he elaborated, "I started as an assistant director to Mahesh Bhatt. I was even offered a role but I didn't take it up as I was dreaming about becoming a director then." Curious about this great shift, I asked him how he comes up with such consistently outstanding performances (I particularly liked him in Ishqiya). "Everybody has their own theory about acting. But the best way to act is not to act but emote," he replied.
Whether he was playing the wicked Babban in Ishqiya or the wisecracking Circuit in the Munnabhai series, Arshad's comic timing is impeccable. Arshad admitted that it is very hard to teach comedy to someone but a good actor can grasp the ropes soon with a little training.
"Comedy tires me out and is difficult to be funny at all times," he said. So does he use his sense of humour to wriggle out of difficult situations, I asked. Arshad replied with a straight face, "I try not to get into difficult situations and thankfully, I have a good sense of humour which comes to my rescue often. But then, life will be really boring without humour."
Amen to that. And on that note, I thanked Arshad for helping me find the answer to my question: the best way to learn is to throw yourself into the deep end of the pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment