Pages

Monday, 12 October 2009

Hillary Clinton starts talks in Northern Ireland


US secretary of state Hillary Clinton with first minister Peter Robinson and deputy first minister Martin McGuinness at Stormont. Belfast Photograph: Paul Mcerlane/EPA

Hillary Clinton has started a round of meetings with Northern Ireland's politicians in a bid to push forward progress on the devolution of policing and justice to Stormont.

Later this morning, she will address the Northern Ireland assembly during her visit to Belfast.

Speaking in Dublin last night, the US secretary of state urged the parties of Northern Ireland to come to an agreement over the creation of a new justice ministry – the last piece of the devolution jigsaw puzzle.

She said: "Clearly, there are questions and some apprehensions, but I believe that due to the concerted effort of the British government, Irish government, and support of friends like us in the US, that the parties understand this is a step they must take together.

"It will take the leaders of both communities working together to continue not only the devolution but then to make day-to-day governing a reality, and I'm confident that that is within reach."

As Clinton left her hotel in central Belfast this morning, the US software company NaviNet said it was building a new research centre in the city worth £4.4m, and creating 60 hi-tech jobs.

During the day, Clinton will hold talks with the first minister, Peter Robinson, and the deputy first minister, Martin McGuinness. The two men spent most of last week locked in negotiations chaired by Gordon Brown on trying to reach a deal that would allow the Stormont assembly to take control of policing and justice matters. McGuinness and Sinn Féin believe the powers could be transferred by Christmas, but Robinson, the Democratic Unionist leader, is more cautious because of disquiet among his backbenchers in the assembly.

No comments:

Post a Comment